Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Jowar – 2.5 cups (soak for 12 hours preferably overnight)
Urad dal – 1 cup (soak for 3 hours)
Idli rice / raw rice – 1/2 cup (soak for 3 hours)
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp (soak along with urad dal)
Steps to cook:
1. After you’ve soaked all the ingredients for the given time, grind the Jowar/Bajra/Ragi in a wet grinder to a smooth paste.
2. Grind urad dal, to a fluffy paste. Remove from the grinder and add to the jowar batter.
3. Grind rice/fox millet smoothly and mix with jowar and urad batter.
4. Grind all 3 together for at least 10 minutes.
5. Allow to ferment overnight.
6. Add salt to the fermented batter and whisk with hand for aeration.
7. Ensure the batter to be of thick spoon drop consistency. In case, it’s very thick add a little water.
8. Smear the sesame oil on a dosa tawa. Sesame oil negates the heating tendency of Jowar. For other cereals use any kind of oil.
9. Spread the batter and cook till becomes a little brown.
10. Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar if you wish.
1. Replace Jowar with Bajra for winters, Ragi for summers and foxtail millets instead of rice for the fasting days in the same proportion as given above.
2. For yummier dosas, always soak ingredients separately and grind them separately. Then add together and grind for 5 mins.